Already an inn keeper & interested in becoming a KBBA member?

3 steps to becoming a member:

1. Obtain your lodging license (and your food service license if applicable) from the Kansas Department of Agriculture ( All bed and breakfasts with four or more rooms OR who can accommodate seven or more guests are required to have a Kansas Lodging License. You may begin operations once you receive your lodging license. Inns that do not require a lodging license (3 rooms or less) do not need to wait for a KBBA inspection before they begin operations.
2. Submit your application for membership by filling out this online form. After you have successfully submitted your application the KBBA board of directors will review the information and contact you for an inspection of your property. Please have the following information completed before submitting your application online:
a) Your bed and breakfast is completed and in operation. b) Required state, county, and local licenses are on hand. c) You meet all state, county, and local zoning and tax regulations.
3.Following inspection and approval of your application, dues of $250 will be invoiced to you and may be prorated depending on the date of your membership request. Once dues are paid, your bed and breakfast will be added to the KBBA website and you will receive login credentials to edit and maintain your listing on the site, as well as access to the information provided in the Innkeeper Member Portal. Renewal of your membership is due January 1st each year. 

Answers to Your Questions Regarding KBBA Membership Requirements

Facility must be completed and open for business.

All Bed and Breakfasts applying for membership must be in compliance with ALL state, county and local rules, regulations, laws, zoning, etc. All licenses, tax certificates, and permits need to be displayed at the Bed and Breakfast as required by state law.

Insurance – Basic homeowner policies do not provide adequate insurance for operating a B&B. Be sure and check to see if you have commercial liability insurance or at the least, a rider added to cover your extra guests and their belongings. You may want to contact a company that writes a specific B&B insurance policy.

State Regulations that are often misunderstood include the private bath regulations, lodging licenses, and what taxes should you collect:

  • According to Kansas State Health Regulations, you should have private baths for each guest rooms (KAR 28-36-40) The state is currently not inspecting those inns with three or less guest rooms OR accommodate seven (7) or less guests in which case, no more than 2 rooms can share a bath. However, the State of Kansas required ALL Bed and Breakfasts in the state with four or more guest rooms OR who can accommodate eight (8) or more guests to have lodging licenses. In order to qualify for your lodging license, if you are a new business or newly renovated, you must have private baths for each guest unit. (KAR 28-36-40)
  • The need for a Lodging License is based on number of guests you accommodate and does not refer to breakfast or other meals served to your overnight guests. (Note: You might have only 3 rooms available to overnight guests and accommodate less than 7 people and not need a lodging license but if you serve meals to the public (to other than B&B guests) then you will need to be licensed to serve food. The Food Service License is unrelated to your Lodging License and/or your bed and breakfast business.
  • The Kansas State Department of Revenue uses number of rooms available to overnight guests as the basis for determining if you should collect the taxes. State Sales Tax and any local or county Sales Tax is to be collected ONLY if you rent 4 or more rooms.
  • Transient Guest Tax is to be collected if you rent 2 or more rooms, providing you are in an area that has such a tax. It should not be collected if you are not required by your city or county.This tax is created by your county commissioners or city council and % is their decision. The tax is returned to your county for tourism promotion.
  • Zoning Regulations and other local and county regulations: Check first with your own county and city regarding their requirements. A variance may be needed for the business in a residency area or off street parking supplied.

Quick Links


If you have questions, please contact  KBBA at