The Wolf Hotel was built in 1894 by John Wolf as an addition to the Delmonico Hotel which would have stood just north of the building which is now the Sunflower Bank parking lot. The addition would add several rooms to the Hotel along with a new lobby, underground stores and the Bank of Ellinwood. The Bank was the last to open due to intricate tile work being laid. The lobby sat on the east side of the building and the bank sat on the west. Downstairs, which was part of the underground tunnel system that ran through Ellinwood, were the Drummer’s room, and Joe’s Snack Counter. The downstairs changed many times becoming Weber’s Sample Room, the library, a gym and another underground bar and cards room. The downstairs still houses the first air conditioner in Barton County. Fred Wolf, John Wolf’s son, added on the Sunflower Dining room in 1924. It is a prestigious restaurant that attracts people from many places with its amber lighting and wheat shock columns. The Wolf Hotel has been home to many businesses throughout the years. For the past thirty plus years it has been an antique store, until Christopher McCord purchased the building in 2013. The development of the Underground Ellinwood Tours has added to the tourism attractions in Ellinwood.
The Wolf Manor is an historic building, built in the late 1800’s as a Catholic Rectory and used to be located beside the town’s Catholic Church. When the church decided to build a new rectory in 1941, the building was moved to a resiential area and puchased by us in 2017. Located only 3 blocks away from The Historic Wolf Hotel, at 110 West 4th Street, The Manor is often used as overflow for the Hotel. It is very similar to the Wolf Hotel with a common kitchen, a parlor, dining room, with most rooms having their own private bathroom. Your stay here will be just as memorable as The Wolf. Pictures of The Manor begin with the Porch scene (8) pictures.
Nearby Cities: Ellinwood, Great Bend